|Home Contact Us|
Marston Green can trace its existence back to 1086 and beyond. The settlement is mentioned in the Doomsday book as Merstone. Within the area of Merstone, were two separate hamlets; Marston Culy and Wavers Marston. The Forest of Arden covered much of this area and these settlements lay within the forest. Marston Culey would have been situated where the centre of Marston Green is now, with Wavers Marston located in the area of the terminal buildings at Birmingham International Airport.
The original village centre was focused around the area of the Memory Garden. This was originally a gravel pit, which later became a pond. It was developed into the gardens we know today in 1949 Some of the oldest buildings in Marston Green are to be found in this area. The area was a farming community from its earliest beginnings up until the end of the First World War. Housing development then began and rapidly changed the character of the area. Development slowed in the 1960's due to the Green Belt policy. Marston Green was still a village close to the city.
Major developments in the late 60's and early 70's were to change the character of the area for ever.
In the late 1960's, Chelmsley Wood was built 1500 acres of Green Belt land.
In the early 1970's, the first phase of the National Exhibition Centre commenced. Along with the NEC came the Birmingham International Station which opened in 1975
The airport opened in 1939 and was known as Elmdon Airport. It boasted 4 grass runways, and the hope was that air traffic would be diverted from London to help to boost the local economy. During World War Two, the airport was used as a training school for RAF and Fleet Air Arm pilots. It also served as a delivery point for the Stirling and Lancaster bombers, which were manufactured by Metro Cammell at their factory which was located on what is now the ElmdonTrading Estate. In 1984 new terminal buildings were opened, and a further new hub was added in 1991. The old Elmdon Airport buildings became cargo and maintenance facilities.
September 14th 1997 saw the unveiling of the Village Clock at the Garden of Memory. It marks the Centenary of Bickenhill Parish Council and is dedicated to George Aston, a past chairman of the council
In 1999 Marston Green Maternity Hospital and Chelmsley Hospital, (Brooklands) were demolished. The Maternity Hospital was built at the start of World War 2 and was used by Canadian Forces as a Military Hospital. Houses have now been built on this land. As part of the project, a new park (Marston Green Park) has been created, which has wildflower meadows areas and a pond. It aims to encourage wildlife, with Lowbrook acting as a wildlife corridor.S
Marston Green continues to change, with over development becoming a matter of concern for some residents and a group has been formed to fight against unsympathetic developments, especially 'garden grabbing' which has become a national issue.
MGOOD - Marston Green Against Overdevelopment
0121 779 3902
|Copyright © 2007 www.marston-green.co.uk - All Rights Reserved|